To view the archived video livestream of the meeting you can access it here.
To read a copy of the minutes from this meeting, click here.
(Attachments to the minutes can be downloaded from Council’s website here).
A brief summary of items that may be of interest to the community follows below.
• Public questions submitted and answered. To view these, please click here
• Council released the Draft Community Engagement Policy 2021 for the purpose of community engagement until 17 January 2021. This policy is a most important opportunity to sert out how Council will work with the community, and must be adopted by 1st March 2021.
• Council resolved to continue livestreaming of Council Meetings following the success of the six-month trial.
• Council will conduct a preliminary investigation to determine whether a speed limit review on Archies Creek Road through Archies Creek, as requested by a petition, will be supported
• Councillor Letitia Laing moved two motions in connection with sand mining in the shire. Firstly to allow to prepare and present a submission to the Minister for Planning’s Advisory Panel so that community concerns regarding the recent quarry expansion plans called in by the minister may be heard, and secondly to develop an extractive mining strategy for the Bass Coast Shire which takes into account the Minister’s declaration of the municipality as a Distinctive Area Landscape, the community’s noise amenity and the intrinsic environment and tourism values of the Bass Coast Shire.
• The Bass Coast Shire Council Annual Report 2019/20 was presented to Council. You may download a copy for your own review here
• An application to undertake buildings and works to the existing caravan and camping park at 164-188 Church Street, Cowes VIC 3922 was appealed to VCAT by the applicant in September 2020 as Council failed to make a decision within the statutory timeframe.
VCAT required the Council to advise their position on this application.
Council indicated they would support modified plans which removed “glamping” tents proposed for the foreshore boundary
• An application to develop a second dwelling on a Surf Beach property of 892 sq.m was approved with a number of conditions attached.
It was stated during discussion that if the application was rejected, and the applicant appealed to VCAT, their application would be granted, so it was preferable for Council to proceed with approval with conditions.
• Council endorsed the Development Plan Endorsement (DPO3) for a Grantville Mixed Use Zone Precinct which is planned to include a supermarket, general commercial and a medical centre.
This is the first step towards construction of Grantville’s long awaited supermarket!
• Council released $127,000 in their second round of community grants.
• Council supported issuing new 20 year leases for the Cape Paterson Surf Life Saving Club, and for property to be used for the new Regional University Centre in Wonthaggi.
• Council meeting dates were set for 2021; February, March and April meetings will continue in a virtual environment. Subsequent meetings.
• The updated COVID-19 Financial Hardship Policy was adopted.
• The 2020/21 Major Initiatives, Finance and Capital Works First Quarter Report was received by Council.